IMMICATHERINEHEADER

home
about me twitter facebook tumblr

Monday, July 16, 2012

L'herbe est toujours plus verte...

Travel between countries on the mainland continent seems to be so much cheaper than from the United Kingdom. It's almost as if the rest of Europe has gone, "The UK? They don't really want to be in Europe so screw them, they can pay twice as much to get around here." I mean 180 euros from Paris to Moscow via Geneva? Really? I'd be mad not to take it.


Of course, with only twelve hours of work a week in France, and a recommendation not to come home before Christmas, I'm going to have rather a lot of time on my hands. Also, I'm being paid a decent amount for the work I do, so I'm going to be able to go away to other countries, and even explore France... If I wanted to.

That's a joke, by the way. It doesn't do well to insult my temporary home before I've even got there.

So far, then, I have ideas of visiting friends in Russia (hence Moscow), Murcia, Malaga (thanks Kate), Orléans, Tours and Basel. On top of that, I'm considering visits to Stockholm, Reykjavik, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Geneva, Zurich, Frankfurt, Etretat, Le Havre, Rouen, Pierrefonds, Lille, Amiens, and finally, finally do that trip to New York and Washington that I've been dreaming of for ohhh... four years? Yes I know that they don't exactly fit into "Europe" or "the mainland continent" but who cares? I'm going to New York and Washington DC.


Granted, I probably won't make everywhere on that list, but I'm certainly going to try. If you've got any more suggestions, please feel free to share them as I'm no European expert, and if anybody wants to come with me, please let me know! There may be some long train journeys ahead, some interesting times of day encountered, and I'll probably be given some kind of frequent traveller's pass at Charles de Gaulle airport, but I'm young and I have time to look out of the window, watch the world go by and enjoy.

Look out for the photos.



P.S. Don't ask why Paris isn't on the list. Almost everywhere I go I'll have to go through Paris. Due to French centralisation, I'll see so much of that city I won't need to make a special trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment