IMMICATHERINEHEADER

home
about me twitter facebook tumblr

Sunday, October 14, 2012

L'Anglaise. The English Girl. ("Imogen" is hard.)

When I get round to posting this, it will no longer be, but it is currently Tuesday 9th October, and I am in the dressing gown that I scoffed at my mother for bringing to me, eating Lays Barbecue flavoured crisps. I am the epitome of sophisticated, I am sure you will agree.

It is also exactly two weeks since I arrived in France to begin this crazy venture of mine, and I should probably note something down for that university work I need to do. Maybe tomorrow.

You really cannot predict what is going to happen when you do something like this. I think this is good though, and character-building. I say this because I was beginning to rock along fairly nicely over here and, on Friday last, was awaiting my parents’ arrival (they came to visit and to bring me some things which were too bulky to carry myself) when I switched my phone on at midday after classes to discover a range of messages from my mother explaining that there was a problem with the car and although they were in Bolbec, or somewhere near it, they were also in a garage of which they didn’t know the location with absolutely minimal French, having slept on a ferry and not having eaten since the night before. Oh blimey.

Eventually that was sorted and the staff there was very kind even if the receptionist couldn’t understand my French on the phone (embarrassing) and I spent a pleasant thirty-six hours in my parents’ company until they headed back to Britain of Greatness. I rounded off my weekend with a calm day spent in Honfleur, followed by a catch-up on Merlin and a nap.

Only I forgot until Monday morning that I was shortly (that afternoon) to become sans Internet as I was moving into my flat – because the French finally got round to fixing my heating – and I had two articles to write and send to Exeposé (Exeter University’s student newspaper) by midnight. Or not midnight, because I would have no Internet by then, and more like 3.30pm, as I was supposed to be meeting the Australian assistant at 4pm.

Well I got one finished fine, typed up on my own laptop to avoid peculiar French keyboard-related typos and using the Internet on a library computer – kudos to you if you have already spotted what I didn’t – and about half of the second done before lunchtime, and still attended all of my observation classesHonflH. It was whilst I was in the middle of my multiple-coursed French lunch that firstly I was invited to attend a special democracy-themed class at 3.30pm and secondly I realised I had no Internet connection on my laptop, and no memory stick with me either. Neither did Fanny. Damn.

I finished off the articles during the lunch break, attended my final class of the day, went to the flat to do an inventory and returned to school for the politics-related lesson, having somehow managed to push back with Lauren our meeting time with no French mobile phone, credit on my British SIM card, no Internet and no way of hurriedly finding out how to top-up abroad. I say somehow, but I mean the ever-helpful, resourceful Fanny to the rescue again. Then I hurried to explain in reception I’d be staying late, then to the staff room to type up the articles on the French keyboard I’d tried so hard to avoid in the first place and send them off at my last possible opportunity. They might not even be published! It only occurred to me at 5.20pm on the way to meet Lauren that the only option I hadn’t remembered was to pick up my memory stick when I was doing the flat inventory… If only.

Today has been less busy but still enough. After a long, long chat with Lauren for most of the evening, I awoke for the first time in this flat to walk the forty-five minute journey to Gruchet le Valasse for class at my second school at 10am. There had been some suggestion about maybe having a lift from Lucinda, another English teacher there, but as I am currently completely uncontactable unless you manage to get into the flat building and literally knock on my door, I didn’t want to chance her non-arrival and then being late. And I don’t understand the buses yet. Transport is a whole different blog post on its own.

It’s a good job I did walk, as I arrived at 9.55am and found Lucinda absent from school today, and that Laura had sent me a Facebook message about something else that I hadn’t been able to read. Don’t take communication for granted. The classes have been interesting to observe (one girl yesterday concluded her paragraph with “she is tall and slim” so she is now my favourite); I’m not allowed to teach until next Monday after my first training session on Friday. I think I’ve also picked up a bit of a groupie already in the form of one sixième (Year 7) student. Post-school, Laura and I went to set up my future Internet connection which was a lot less hassle than expected, and did some brief shopping (the phone company SFR is in the same place as the supermarket Carrefour) so that I would have at least some food for a few days. Stupidly, I’m not even hungry enough for a meal tonight.

After she dropped me back at my flat, I unpacked and organised myself, and put up the rest of my decorations. I have to say, I’m really happy with it. The flat is designed for the headmaster but he doesn’t need it, and so it has been granted to me. But it is family-sized and therefore so big that I’ve not switched my music off all night because it’s so quiet. I won’t be spending all my time here on my own – three individuals could easily live here. But, as they don’t, I can put up what I like and where I like. So my flag, photos, cards and multi-coloured phone boxes are on the wall. The latter not literally, you understand. The only real problem I’ve had so far is working out the boiler and the heating (so an awkward shower tonight). I’ve either not got the hang of it, or it’s broken again, but either way it brings me full circle back to the beginning and the fetching dressing gown. You see, moms really do know everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment